BANG (starting gun?)


hello world

Miranda says that’s supposed to be the first thing you say in a new tech world, so there you go. Superstition satisfied.

So, welcome! I’m Ivan, and if we keep to our planned division of labor, I’ll be doing most of the writing while Miranda does photos. She’s better at pictures. I’m not sure I’m better at writing – she’s a whole lot clearer than I am, in, like, all things – but I like this part better, I think. I dunno – maybe you should ask her.  

We’re starting this blog because 1.) I’ve been agitating for it for a few months, because I think I/we will be happy to read it later, and 2.) because we’re uprooting our lives and moving to Nepal, and figured we ought to follow the 2005 herd and blog about it.

A little background about us: Miranda is a researcher with the University of Chicago’s SUPERgroup, where she researches usable security and privacy. Some other things I’ve seen her get excited about: cooking projects (she made a friend of hers an astonishing birthday cake in the shape of Sanic the Hedgehog, for instance), streetwear and fashion, and thrift shopping.

I, meanwhile, am Ivan. I’m sort of a writer, sort of because I haven’t published anything creative – talk about imposter syndrome – but that’ll change soon, if I have anything to do with it. My big goal: get a piece in the New Yorker. It's scary even put that goal in print, but this is a good step in easing myself into the water. Other things that get me excited: new food (in pursuit of this passion, I’ve eaten crispy crickets, a chicken’s brain, and the bitterest wood in nature), mixing drinks, and media that makes me cry!

I’m going to aim to get a written post up here once a week, and I’ll urge Miranda to do the same. I don’t know what I’ll be writing about yet. Photos will almost certainly be taken in, and featuring, Nepal. Like I said – she’s clearer in all things.

-Ivan

Comments

  1. I look forward to The New Yorker piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. I request a photo of this Sonic the Hedgehog cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, that was no typo - it was definitely Sanic: http://meme.wikia.com/wiki/Sanic. picture will be included in the next post!

      Delete
    2. Sanic is beautiful

      (Also the Gooseberry Jam is 10/10)

      Delete

Post a Comment